International move checklist
4 Weeks Before Your International Move
- Explain the reasons for your move to your family and close relations in good time.
- Sort out and dispose of belongings you no longer need.
- Clear out the loft, cellar or garage.
- Make sure all your passports are valid, and if you need them, your visas are in order.
- If you are taking your car with you, check if you need an international driving license.
- Inform your Solicitor and collect copies of wills, medical and dental records.
- Inform your bank manager of your plans so that the accounts can be transferred smoothly.
- If you are taking your pets with you, find out about quarantine regulations.
- Get copies of veterinary records from your vet.
3 Weeks Before Your International Move
- Make sure that you have valid insurance to cover all eventualities - car, personal, and medical.
- Arrange for electricity and gas meters to be read and supplies cut off or transferred on the day you move.
- Cancel telephone and arrange a final account.
- Send out change of address cards as soon as you can, and let the post office know you’re moving.
- Tell your children’s schools in good time.
- Make sure you have copies of school reports and certificates for the new schools.
- Collect together all relevant documents, such as work permits, tax records and credit references.
- If you are taking plants with you, check the health regulations. Cancel all your subscriptions for magazines, papers, clubs etc.
2 Weeks Before Your International Move
- Decide which personal items you want to pack yourself and put them to one side.
- Identify valuable items of jewelry and personal things you want to carry with you and pack them carefully.
- Make sure you have your tickets, hotel reservations, passports and other documents safely in one place.
- Make sure you have returned rented items, such as televisions and videos etc.
- Prepare garden tools for packing.
- Motor mowers must be drained of oil and fuel.
- Drain hosepipes and roll them carefully.
- Non-toxic cleaning fluids can be sealed in plastic bags.
- Dispose of oil, paint, aerosol cans and other flammable and toxic chemicals carefully.
On The Day of Your International Move
- Stay close to your packing supervisor so that you can identify those ‘special’ items.
- Then when you arrive at your destination you will see the benefits of careful planning.
- You will be asked to sign the inventory.
- Keep your copies safe so when you move in you will be able to make sure that everything is correct.
- Label and put aside small important items.
- Sort all your keys into two bunches: those you want to take with you and those to leave behind.
- Pack a ‘survival kit’ with all the small items you may need when you arrive. Organize with the neighbors to leave sufficient parking space for the removal vehicles.
International moving companies in New Jersey aren’t all alike. With Earth Relocation, we provide the international moving checklist that makes it a breeze whether you’re moving to Switzerland, for example, or to Mexico, Canada or the UAE. Relocating to Switzerland or anywhere else can be stressful, but we can do much of the work and relieve many hassles.
Why not contact us and see why we’re the top choice of international moving companies in New Jersey? You’ll soon be so glad you did. When you work with us, you’re working with professionals in moving to Switzerland -- and moving everywhere else too.